good gravy

Rants, raves and reviews of the happenings in and around my life.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Grocery store = Reunion hall

What is it about the grocery store that you have to run into every damn person you've ever known? Most of those are the ones that you really wish you wouldn't run in to , you know what I mean?

My mom always said to wear my makeup and dress nice for the grocery store cause I would see everyone that I've ever known in there and I'll be damned if she wasn't right. However, I haven't really grasped the makeup to the grocery store thing - they'll just have to deal with it.

The other day, I went to Brookshire's and it was like a high school reunion and then some.

First of all, I ran into the guy that I ended up going to my senior prom with. He said my name and I turned around and had NO IDEA who he was! Ugh. I HATE it when that happens. It took me a bit but I finally got it. He and I were really good friends - he's gay and I've always known that. How sad am I that I have to go to my senior prom with a gay man? GAWD - don't you feel sorry for me? I promise I wasn't a dog. Just circumstances led to it. Anyway, we talked for a bit and he said that he lived here in town now and is a hairdresser. Think maybe I could get the "senior prom date" discount?? Hope so!!

Then I ran into several people that graduated with my brother. So, then I get that whole - hmmm, I know you - aren't you Trey's sister? - bit. That's always interesting.

Ran into a girl that I hadn't seen since the DAY we walked out of high school graduation!! THAT was a trip. She said my name and of course, I had NO IDEA who she was! I suck at this, don't I??
I did finally get it after looking at her face for a bit. We talked for a LONG time and caught up on almost 20 years, I think. She is living in Texas and is married to an older guy and get this ... she never had kids but has NINE GRANDKIDS!!! WHAT THE?!?

We talked about how our 20 year reunion is coming up and I made her promise that she would come. She is one of those people that I would like to see. You know the ones. I'm interested in seeing most of the guys. I don't think I've seen some of those guys in YEARS and YEARS! It'll be a trip, I'm sure.

Of course, sometimes I see those people that I REALLY don't want to see so I end up darting over to aisle 3 while they are on aisle 4 or such. I know, what a chicken shit. Looking at canned peaches like they are the end all, be all of fruit cuisine. It usually works though.

Every time I go to the grocery store though, I expect to see at least one person I know. Every now and then I will actually go to the store further across town so I WON'T see anyone I know but even then - the chances are still fairly high that I'll bump into someone. *sigh*

Guess that's one of the perks (or is it a pain?) of small town living.