good gravy

Rants, raves and reviews of the happenings in and around my life.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Women's Wine Tasting Club

Over the last several months there have been several occasions where I've been able to attend a new "club" in town - it's a Women's Wine Tasting Club and it's been a lot of fun!

So far, I have learned about Merlot and Shiraz and last night I went to one to learn about Sparkling Wine. Everyone brings a dish to compliment the wine and usually there are about 6 or so different types/brands to taste .... errrr, drink! .... and we enjoy the food and the wine and by the end of the evening - we are fully enjoying everyone's company! Even the woman you thought was gonna be really uptight and/or the snooty girl over in the corner.

As I said before, last night was Sparkling wine. While it's usually not my favorite, once the second or third glass goes down - it becomes like an old buddy you haven't seen in awhile and you relish catching up for hours! My girlfriend, Karla went with me last night and when we first got there we were both a little leery because 1. we were the first people there and had never met the hostess 2. we had jokingly talked about something we had seen at this particular house before and then came to find out that it was indeed the same person 3. the second girl arrived and she was big buddies with the hostess and they scampered off to the kitchen to giggle and prepare stuff ... *sigh*

But, hey - what did I care!? I was out of the house and with my friend, Karla! So, we just stood around for a bit and giggled ourselves - and that was even before the wine was opened!!

Finally, everyone arrived (why do they say it'll start at 7:00 when they know people *must* be fashionably late and then 45 minutes pass by while you are starving and thirsty and just ready to get on with it - not to mention, thinking of your 3 children that your husband is having to feed, bathe and get to bed on his own and also ---- oh, sorry ) and we got our little talk about the various types of sparkling wines and such and then it was time to eat!! YEA!!!

Food was good - conversation was good - some of the wines were good but the best part was when we left with our head a buzz and Karla and I got to laughing about various dumb shit and we could NOT stop! Then, of course the bright idea of getting even MORE wine popped up and off we went.

This was something that I have been needing for SO LONG! I'm slowly realizing that I haven't been utilizing that part of me that interacts with other adults and that has adult conversations about real things. I miss realizing that I am so much more than just "Mommy" and much more than just "Adam's wife"... I miss that. I miss it very much. Not that I'm not proud to be both of those things but I have felt lately that I've misplaced many of the parts of me that make me who I am and you know - I've missed them!!

So - this is a public thank you to Lisa who has started up this wine tasting club that I hope to be attending regularly and a thank you to my husband who took care of the girls while I went to this event and mostly to my friend, Karla - who made me giggle like crazy and gave me what I needed the most at the time I needed it. I bet she doesn't even realize it.

I can't WAIT till next month!! :)

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home